Thursday, October 3, 2013

Literature Analysis #2 (Tuesdays With Morrie)


  • The novel is about a man who wants to reconnect with former college professor who is dying of Lou Gehrig's disease. They grow closer with the frequent visits and eventually do everything up until Morrie's death.
  • Live ever last moment as if it were your last and don't over look the simple things in life. It might be a little cliche but that's is what it is. Morrie died a slow death that made him lose motor functions basically causing paralysis. The book refers to him as "a man trapped in a lifeless cocoon. 
  • The author's tone sways from a narrative boring story telling voice to gloomy, depressed tone. The tone shifts when Mitch describes Morrie's new state of appearance. "His hair was...nearly white and his face was gaunt... his eyes were more sunken in.." (pg27&29). There you can tell there is a sense of remorse and it pains Mitch to see his professor like that.
  • The author, Mitch, uses indirect and direct characterization while describing Morrie. He uses references to loose clothing and popping bones to say that Morrie has basically deteriorated away. The way Morrie speaks lets you know that he is well educated and very philosophical. I was left with tears in my eyes when this character died because I felt as if I had connected with a real person. 
  • The author's syntax and diction basically stay the same through out the entire story.
  • After reading this story I was left with a knot in my stomach because I felt like I was apart of the journey with Mitch and Morrie. I was actually laughing when there was a joke and I cried when the novel ended. I was just so inspirational and motivating on so many different levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment