Monday, August 19, 2013

Vocab #1


  • Adumbrate: to forshadow, outline; I had to adumbrate the ending of the book with out giving away the end.
  • Apotheosis: glorification of a person/thing; A pharaoh in ancient Egypt is an apotheosis on a man.
  • Ascetic: a person who's dedicated to pursue ideals and religious morales; The monk at the cathedral acted in an ascetic manner every day.
  • Bauble: a cheap, flashy toy usually used by jesters; At the end of the jesters scepter a bauble sat attracting all of the attention.
  • Beguile: to mislead or influence by trickery; The man on the corner beguiled everybody by acting like a homeless person.
  • Burgeon: to flourish; All of the flowers burgeoned at once.
  • Complement: usually a comment that makes perfect; The beautiful woman blushed after I complemented her eyes.
  • Contumacious: rebellious or disobedient; A teenager can sometimes act in a contumacious manner for no apparent reason.
  • Curmudgeon: ill-tempered/difficult person; I have to act like a curmudgeon for the role in this movie.
  • Didactic: used for learning; Dr. Preston is a very didactic person, he has a real passion for teaching.
  • Disingenuous: lacking sincerity; I made a disingenuous promise knowing I wouldn't be able to keep it.
  • Exculpate: vindicate, free from blame; After a long trial the alleged murderer was exculpated.
  • Faux Pas: tactless act, usually very awkward; I was greeted with a faux pas, instead of a handshake I received a lick. 
  • Fulminate: to explode or detonate; The soda fulminated after being shaken for two minutes.
  • Fustian: a fabric made of cotton and flax; My shirt was very itchy because it was made of fustian. 
  • Hauteur: arrogance; Daniel's big question dealt with people acting with hauteur. 
  • Inhibit: to restrain, prohibit, forbid; My mother inhibits me to take the car with out permission.
  • Jeremiad: complaint; I filed a jeremiad with the owner of Toyota because the car was a jalopy. 
  • Opportunist: a person who practices opportunism; I see my self as a real opportunist, looking on the bright side of everything. 
  • Unconscionable: not guided by conscious; The act of breathing is unconscionable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment